[vtk-developers] VTK code review / testing / integration workflow

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Aug 25 14:38:01 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:

> Just looking at a topic discussion in github (
> https://github.com/OpenGeoscience/geojs/pull/182 ), I see that it can do
> most of what gerrit does, but in prettier/nicer way. In which case I think
> moving to github would be my vote. Also we can easily integrate
> documentation, bug tracker etc. -- so wiki's can slowly fade away!

+1. We have adopted it for GeoJS and soon for UV-CDAT (after a long
discussion). I think its simple enough. I think it covers the basic
features we need in a reasonable easy to use manner. Also, as I know that
github team is working on improving it further in the future (more
features).

- Aashish

> Utkarsh
>

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 13:24:31 -0400, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>> > The notable difference seems that you can't "review" a topic, you
>> "review"
>> > commits in a topic", but in essence that's what we do on VTK-gerrit too,
>> > anyways.
>>
>> I think branch-level comments and such are useful (how to test it, why
>> the branch exists, etc.), but we've been without them for a while, so I
>> guess it'd be a high, IMO, Nice To Have™.
>>
>> --Ben

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*