[Viame] Software Updates

Matt Dawkins matt.dawkins at kitware.com
Thu Sep 15 13:57:11 EDT 2016

If anyone hasn't built VIAME yet, now's a decent time to try doing it
before the hackathon. I've created a second git release tag from today's
source (2016-09-15-Pre-Hackathon-Release) that's relatively stable and has
a few new features compared to the first. To update it, in [viame_source]
run:

git fetch -p
git checkout 2016-09-15-Pre-Hackathon-Release
git submodule update --init --recursive

Then rebuild.

Here's some quick notes on any issues w.r.t. different build systems and
what VIAME features they support to the extent of my knowledge:

*Linux:*

Ubuntu 14.04+/Fedora 19+/CentOS/RHEL 6+ : GCC/G++ - Full support, can
encounter some simple build issues highlighted on the build instructions
"known issues" page (https://github.com/Kitware/VI
AME/blob/master/doc/install_guide.rst), but once you get past any of them
you should be set. If using ENABLE_PYTHON, using python 2.7 is best,
possible(?) issues with 3.3. When ENABLE_DOC and ENABLE_PYTHON turned on
build sometimes fails, but running make again causes it to succeed.

*Mac*:

OSX (Apple) 10.11 : Clang - Full support - runtime issues with 1 of the
included GUIs, will fix soon. Also, setup_viame.sh has been fixed to work
on mac not just linux.

OSX (Apple) 10.10 : Clang - 90% support - possible issue with a couple
enable flags (CAFFE, VXL?) deps on compiler version and hopefully not hard
to fix in person.

*Windows:*

Windows 7/8/10 : Visual Studio 2013 64-bit - 90% support but requires
external caffe build for caffe users. Fixed some issues with DLLs being put
in wrong locations requiring manual moves to the install tree. Issues with
ENABLE_KWANT and possibly ENABLE_PYTHON flags remain. Could also use a
windows .bat equivalent of the setup_viame.sh script for certain EXEs.

Windows 7/8/10 : Visual Studio 2015 64-bit - Now builds, but still offers
only basic support for a few features, recommend using 2013 still (you can
still get the community edition of '13 for free and I have both '15, '13,
and '10 on my laptop side by side). Several ENABLE_* flags still not
building on first go, requiring local hacks for them.

Thanks
-MD

--
Matthew Dawkins