[Paraview] Create filter with jump in fields

Santiago Serebrinsky sserebrinsky at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:37:18 EST 2018

I have a dataset with discontinuous displacements across a few surfaces (so
far I am working in 2D, so these would be lines, 1D). It is input as a
PVDReader (just in case it makes any difference here, which I doubt).

*Is there any way to programmatically create a new Source with the
displacement jumps along those lines? Note that this new field would
probably have to be defined on a domain with a lower dimension, see above.*

So far, I created filters PlotOverLine, on lines slightly below and
slightly above the prescribed line. But I do not know how to subtract the
two and place them in a single field over the line.

*Mathematical description of an example*:

Discontinuous field: u(x,y)

Domain of discontinuity: x axis, y=0

Value of the field on one side of the domain of discontinuity: u(x+,0)

Value of the field on the other side of the domain of discontinuity: u(x-,0)

Jump in the field: d(x) = u(x+,0) - u(x-,0)

The field u is defined on a 2D domain. The field d is defined on a 1D
domain (x axis).