[VTK ARB] Thanks for participating

Steve Pieper pieper at isomics.com
Fri Jul 10 08:09:12 EDT 2015

Thanks Will and everyone for the fun discussion.  I wasn't kidding (or
sucking up!) when I said these are some of my favorite topics.

Regarding the shaders, you probably saw my recent post to the developer
list on CommonGL idea  [1].  For current research I'm using the VTK OpenGL
backend with a few changes to expose shader-related classes to python just
for convenience.  I'm very interested to know how this should look in
OpenGL2, C++ or python in future VTK.

Particularly I want to be able to bind variables to uniforms, and map data
arrays to shader vertex attributes.   These are all nicely done in the
OpenGL but I don't see any support for them in OpenGL2.  I understood from
Berk yesterday that I'm supposed to write my own mapper subclass to support
those things?

Also I want to pass vtkImageData as 3D textures, which seem to only be
supported in the GPU ray caster in current VTK, but would be very handy as
a general feature.  Does anyone have plans for that?  Perhaps extending
vtkTexture to 3D?

Happy to have a follow on call if there's interest in these things.
Otherwise I can stumble along on my own ; )

-Steve

[1] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2015-June/032147.html