[vtkusers] Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Eva Monclús emonclus at cs.upc.edu
Wed Jun 27 09:06:58 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

I'm working with a volume dataset (temporal Dicom serie) and I´m able to
visualize the  slices using the following vtk C++ classes:

  * vtkImageData: represents the volume dataset
  * vtkImageMapToColors: I use this class to define the transfer
    function to be used in the rendering
  * vtkImageActor: I use this class to render a specific slice of the
    volume dataset

Until here everything it is fine. I can render the slice I want using
the classes before mentioned changing the SetDisplayExtent of the
vtkImageActor.

Now I want to visualize the output of my vtkImageActor as a 2D texture
in a free 3D plane.  Then, I consider to have the following classes:

  *   I use a vtkPlaneSource to define the  3D plane: orientation and
    position
  * a vtkTexture that has to be attached to the vtkPlaneSource. My
    problem comes out with the definition of the SetInputConnection of
    the vtkTexture. I want to define the  image as the output of the
    vtkImageActor. But  I do not get it.

I am successful in visualizing the vtkPlane in black  color (due to the
texture is not well defined) unfortunately, I can't get it to work
properly  with a texture of a specific slice of the volume dataset. I
have tried different ways of assigning the SetInputConnection of the
vtkTexture using the vtkImageActor, but none of them worked well.

Any help will be welcome.  Thank you very much in advance,

    Eva