[vtkusers] Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Wed Jun 27 09:22:21 EDT 2018

Hi Eva,

vtkImageActor is a 2D textured plane in a 3D space. Make sure that you use
the vtkImageMapper3D (default mapper) with it.
If you’re just looking for 3D interaction with the actor, use an interactor
style like vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Eva Monclús <emonclus at cs.upc.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm working with a volume dataset (temporal Dicom serie) and I´m able to
> visualize the  slices using the following vtk C++ classes:
>
>    - vtkImageData: represents the volume dataset
>    - vtkImageMapToColors: I use this class to define the transfer
>    function to be used in the rendering
>    - vtkImageActor: I use this class to render a specific slice of the
>    volume dataset
>
> Until here everything it is fine. I can render the slice I want using the
> classes before mentioned changing the SetDisplayExtent of the vtkImageActor.
>
> Now I want to visualize the output of my vtkImageActor as a 2D texture in
> a free 3D plane.  Then, I consider to have the following classes:
>
>    -  I use a vtkPlaneSource to define the  3D plane: orientation and
>    position
>    - a vtkTexture that has to be attached to the vtkPlaneSource. My
>    problem comes out with the definition of the SetInputConnection of the
>    vtkTexture. I want to define the  image as the output of the vtkImageActor.
>    But  I do not get it.
>
> I am successful in visualizing the vtkPlane in black  color (due to the
> texture is not well defined) unfortunately, I can't get it to work
> properly  with a texture of a specific slice of the volume dataset. I have
> tried different ways of assigning the SetInputConnection of the vtkTexture
> using the vtkImageActor, but none of them worked well.
>
> Any help will be welcome.  Thank you very much in advance,
>
>    Eva

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​