[vtkusers] VTK 8.1.0 wheels on pypi

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Thu Jul 26 20:38:38 EDT 2018

On 7/26/18 11:37 AM, Paul Korir wrote:

> Dear Prabhu,
>
> Big favour to ask: could you build wheels for running VTK headless i.e.
> offscreen rendering? I think the option to support this is
> VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA (see
> https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/OffScreenRendering).
>
> That would be a very big help. I've seen loads of queries on how to do this
> but almost no clear solutions.
>
> Then running VTK in headless mode would be as simple as first doing:
>
> pip install vtk-headless
>
> ... then you're off to the races!

I wish it were that easy but unfortunately it isn't.  It would be nicer still if
this could be bundled into the same VTK wheels that we currently build.
Unfortunately, I do not have the bandwidth to follow up with this right now.  If
VTK supported this easily enough then I am happy to build the wheels and push
them to pypi. :)

cheers,
Prabhu