[vtkusers] tags in VTK?

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Sun Mar 12 11:17:35 EDT 2017

Hi Nico,

The more common way in VTK is just as you said -- to create a cell array
with that marking. That doesn't mean that you can't maintain a list of
cells in a subdomain. You could also work with pieces or a multiblock to
represent the subdomain.

The main issue though is how that data is supposed to be interpreted by
other things. If you're working on your own filters then you can have the
convention of a field data array to keep track of subdomains but most/all
VTK filters will have no idea what that data represents. The idea here is
that if you want to a threshold filter to keep only certain subdomains you
can either use a cell data array and the vtkThreshold filter or your own
convention and your own threshold filter.

Cheers,
Andy