[vtkusers] XDMF help for custom hdf5 file

nranthony nantho2 at emory.edu
Sun Mar 12 21:07:36 EDT 2017

Hi all, I hope the data treats you well.

I've been trying to get an xdmf file together for opening data from a custom
hdf5 used by Bitplane Imaris.  It's an '.ims' file, but it's created with
hdf5 commands, and is a 3D array of intensity values for N channels (usually
1-4 channels).  I've tried a bunch of different options on creating an xmdf
file for importing the data into ParaView, but it crashes every time.

Here's an example of the xdmf I've used:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []>
<Xdmf xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude" Version="2.2">
	<Geometry Type="ORIGIN_DXDYDZ">

		<DataItem Format="XML" Dimensions="3">0.0 0.0 0.0</DataItem>

		<DataItem Format="XML" Dimensions="3">0.1 0.1 0.21</DataItem>
	</Geometry>
	<DataItem Format="HDF" Dimensions="64 256 256" NumberType="UInt"
Precision="16">NhBE_crop2.ims:/DataSet/ResolutionLevel 0/TimePoint 0/Channel
0/Data</DataItem>
	<DataItem Format="HDF" Dimensions="64 256 256" NumberType="UInt"
Precision="16">NhBE_crop2.ims:/DataSet/ResolutionLevel 0/TimePoint 0/Channel
1/Data</DataItem>
</Xdmf>

I have random questions:
- the data is compressed with a deflate of 2.  Is that likely to be the
issue?
- also, I have a custom chunk size, but I assume that these things are taken
care of with the h5 opening part of the code behind the scenes?
- precision is the number of bits for the data, right?
- is UInt correct for unsigned integers?
- can I specify units for my dx dy dz?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Neil