[vtkusers] tags in VTK?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 13:39:19 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

To mark subdomains in VTK, I guess the most common thing is to use a
integer-valued cell (or point) function that associates every cell with a
subdomain index. Is this correct or are there other ways for marking
subdomains?

In other mesh formats, I've seen the approach of tagging entities, i.e.,
subdomain X would be represented by a list indices into the cell (or point)
array. This fits many of my applications better since I typically need to
iterate over all cells of a subdomain. The function approach makes it hard
to even find out how many subdomains there are, let alone to have one cell
belong to two subdomains at once.

Any hints here?

Cheers,
Nico