[vtkusers] VTK 7.1 with OpenGL2 with MESA (llvmpipe) drivers under Windows

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Mar 10 07:22:53 EST 2017

OpenGL2 uses core profile, not compatability. Using
MESA_GL_OVERRIDE_VERSION is bad as it tries to trick VTK into thinking it
has a better OpenGL than it has, often resulting in crashes, for VTK it is
a no no.  There was a fix for windows mesa in VTK a month or so ago. If the
version of VTK you are using is older than that, then upgrading to VTK
master might fix the issue.

Thanks
Ken

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 4:15 AM, Taron <taron2000 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm struggling to get VTK 7.1 with the new OpenGL2 Backend to work with
> Mesa-llvmpipe-Drivers on Windows.
> The main problem is, that Mesa ( I tried several Versions from 11.1 up to
> 17.0) reports back 3.0 OpenGL Context. From the Mesa board I know that Mesa
> with llvmpipe should support a context up to 3.3 but only with the "Core
> Profile" and 3.0 context with the "Compatibility Profile". Now my guess is,
> that in theory it should work, but VTK wants a compatibility profile and
> not
> a core profile and thus refuses to work because the context provided is
> only
> 3.0.
> When I use the enviroment var MESA_GL_OVERRIDE_VERSION  and set to 3.2 the
> application starts and renders, but crashes in certain circumstances (this
> again is expected, because only the version returned is 3.2 by mesa but the
> context remains 3.0 with that override).
>
> My question now is: How can we make this work? Should it work and i do
> something wrong? Can the VTK guys fix the issue or do the mesa drivers not
> support what they claim?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Klaus
>

> --

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.