[vtkusers] VTK 7.1 with OpenGL2 with MESA (llvmpipe) drivers under Windows

Taron taron2000 at gmx.de
Fri Mar 10 04:15:57 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling to get VTK 7.1 with the new OpenGL2 Backend to work with
Mesa-llvmpipe-Drivers on Windows.
The main problem is, that Mesa ( I tried several Versions from 11.1 up to
17.0) reports back 3.0 OpenGL Context. From the Mesa board I know that Mesa
with llvmpipe should support a context up to 3.3 but only with the "Core
Profile" and 3.0 context with the "Compatibility Profile". Now my guess is,
that in theory it should work, but VTK wants a compatibility profile and not
a core profile and thus refuses to work because the context provided is only
3.0.
When I use the enviroment var MESA_GL_OVERRIDE_VERSION  and set to 3.2 the
application starts and renders, but crashes in certain circumstances (this
again is expected, because only the version returned is 3.2 by mesa but the
context remains 3.0 with that override).

My question now is: How can we make this work? Should it work and i do
something wrong? Can the VTK guys fix the issue or do the mesa drivers not
support what they claim?

Best Regards

Klaus