[vtkusers] vtkSmartPoint() changed? Current VTK-git won't build...

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Sep 28 10:19:39 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:00 AM, JIA Pei <jp4work at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have VTK successfully built now...
> But, I really cannot remember what to enable, and what to disable ...
>
> Well, now, I got as for "FreeType", the one came with system shouldn't be
> enabled.
>
> In addition, for another package ITK, I dare NOT to enable even one module.
> I believe the users need your clear documentation, particularly for people
> like me, who would always like to build everything from scratch.

The simple fact is that the default build options are likely to give
you a build that works, this is true for ITK and VTK. The more things
you change the more likely you are to hit a bug or corner case that is
not tested. We have a large number of dashboard machines testing a
number of configurations, if you want to build from source and change
default options, enable remote modules, etc you may hit issues and
this is far from unique. Default build options are the recommended
options to get up and running quickly, tend to be better tested, and
that is why we spent time deciding on reasonable defaults as almost
all projects do.

Our goal, or at least mine, is to make all configurations work, and
disable anything that is known to be broken, or at least issue a
configure time warning. You can take a look at the Tomviz superbuild
where we configure ParaView (and thus VTK), ITK, SciPy, and a number
of other projects on WIndows, Mac and Linux, creating binary
installers. That took time, and is still something that needs
tweaking/testing.