[vtkusers] Volume rendering problem
elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Aug 11 07:26:26 EDT 2016
2016-08-11 11:37 GMT+02:00 Elvis Stansvik <elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>:
> 2016-08-11 11:18 GMT+02:00 Elvis Stansvik <elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm wrestling with a volume rendering problem.
>> I've set up a very basic pipeline that just renders a volume.
>> As source it uses a custom reader I wrote that loads a volume from a HDF5
>> dataset (float).
>> It seemed to be working fine with the volume I had been testing with (see
>> attached works_fine.png), which was a 120x120x2000. In addition to the the
>> rendering itself, the screenshot shows a histogram plot I was using for
>> debugging, as well as some editor controls I use to modify the
>> color/opacity transfer function.
>> I then tested with another volume which is larger (300x300x5000), but
>> apart from that has pretty much the same characteristic for its scalar
>> values as the first one, and all of a sudden I don't see anything. See the
>> attached not_working.png, which shows the setup using the problematic
>> As you can in the histogram, there's a lot of voxel values roughly around
>> 1, much like in the first volume, so I would expect that with the same
>> transfer functions (black color, and an opacity ramp from 0.0,0.0 up to
>> 5.0,1.0), I should see _something_.
>> I'm pretty sure I'm missing something basic here, but does anyone have an
>> idea why I get the expected rendering with my smaller volume, but not with
>> the bigger one?
>> Thanks a lot for any advice!
> Sorry, shortly after sending this I think I got one step closer to an
> explanation. The file from which I load this second, larger, volume is
> actually a concatenation of several files, and I just tried loading one of
> the files separately and it worked fine (the rendering looks as expected).
> So something is probably wrong in the script I use for concatenating HDF5
> files. I'll do some digging there.
There seems to be nothing wrong with the concatenation script I'm using.
I've now tried creating smaller volumes by not concatenating the full set
of files, and up until a resulting volume of around ~2500x300x300 it works
okay, but if I extend the volume more than that, the rendering fails like
described previously. It's quite strange :/ And I don't think I'm hitting
some out-of-memory condition inside VTK, since it normally prints nice
errors and crashes if that happens.
>> PS. If you're confused by the range of the vtkAxisActor that you see in
>> the screenshots, when comparing to the the volume sizes I stated above,
>> it's because my custom render currently hardcodes the spacing to 0.2. DS.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the vtkusers