[vtkusers] read RT dose, structure and plan DICOM to vtk+python?

hchen hjchen.work at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 16:39:40 EDT 2016

Hi,

It there a native VTK class that reads RT dose, structure and plan DICOM
files?

I am using VTK in python. vtkDICOMImageReader() works fine with DICOM CT,
but seems to have trouble with RT files. Some older posts mentioned
vtkGDCMImageReader, but somehow it is not in my VTK build ( VTK 7 + python
3.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 )

Right now I take a detour by using pydicom to read RT DICOM files and then
convert to vtkImageData, but then I have to create a structure to store
things such as patient name, id, plan name, etc.

Does anyone know a better way of handling RT DICOM files in VTK?

Thanks

chen