[vtkusers] VTK equivalent of Paraview's Crinkle Clip option?

Evan Kao tossin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 00:42:02 EDT 2016

Hey all,

Is there a VTK equivalent of Paraview's Crinkle Clip option?

Some background: I'm want to interactively edit the point data array of
some vtkDataSet.  I'm trying to do the following pipeline:

   - vtkIdsFilter is applied to a geometry generate an Ids array
   - User uses (box, plane, sphere) widget to roughly specify an implicit
   function encompassing part of the geometry
   - The implicit function is used to clip the data set (inside out) and
   the remaining point Ids are obtained
   - The array data for those specific point Ids are set to a specific value

However, for some reason the various clippers will remove the generated
point Ids array in both VTK and Paraview.  It makes some sense since new
points are generated by the clip, but I think it would be more convenient
if the array wasn't thrown out entirely.

in Paraview, this issue can be avoided if the Crinkle Clip option is turned
on.  But I couldn't find an equivalent option in any of VTK's various
clippers.

I can get around this by basically casting the Idsarray from vtkIdType to
Int before clipping, but that seems pretty inelegant.  A crinkle clip would
be more appropriate.

I'm also open to other ideas for grabbing the point Ids without using a
clipper.

Thanks,
Evan Kao