[vtkusers] vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D behaves differently between v5.1 and v6.2

Weiguang guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 11 13:22:51 EDT 2015

Hello VTK users,

We develop a viz system using vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D for volume
rendering. Recently, we've moved up from v5.1 to v6.2. After that, we
notice our viz system has a significant slow-down in rendering speed
(compared on the same computer) when volume size is large, say LxWxH ~=
512^3. It can always render small volumes at interactive rate.

I know that vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D needs to resample large volume to
fit in 128*256*256 (BTW, our data is regular volume data with a single
component). But this down-sampling process is not new in 6.2. Are there
other changes that cause the performance issue? Does anyone experience
the same issue? Thanks.

Best,
Weiguang