[vtkusers] Rendering multiple volumes

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Oct 29 12:14:21 EDT 2015

Hi Weiguang,

Yes, a true multi volume rendering is not supported in current GPU mappers.
This is a interesting task and we talked about implementing it but didn't
hit high in our priority list. I think there could be some interesting
questions / answer related to this on blending and mixing. One thing you
could do (if possible) is that you can combine two volumes into one with
two components (assuming that each has one) if you need something soon.
Also, I believe the texture mapping mapper works because it crates these
polygonal slices but I would imaging that even it would not do the right
thing completely (it may look right though) in all circumstances since its
not going to sort slices between two volumes.

- Aashish

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Weiguang guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca>
wrote:

> There were a few posts in the past about this topic. The conclusion seemed
> to be that VTK didn't support multi-volume rendering in terms of proper
> visibility sorting/blending. I'm not sure it is still true.
>
> I've done a test where two partially overlapped volumes are used. I've
> found that only the texture mapping mapper can render them correctly. All
> the other mappers (GPU based or ray casting) always have one volume occlude
> the other one no matter what direction the camera is viewing.
>
> Is vtkImageOcclusionSpectrum designed for handling multiple volume
> rendering? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best,
> Weiguang

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*