[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Eric Nodwell eric.nodwell at numerics88.com
Tue Oct 6 15:50:01 EDT 2015

I don't think Apple has been entirely consistent here. For example, I
am 99.999% sure that the operating system never needs to use scipy,
but they have included that in the system python for a couple of
versions now. Furthermore, they link it against their Accelerate
Framework, which is wicked fast - and it is very far from trivial to
compile scipy with the Accerelate Framework if you want to do it
yourself, so it is tempting to use theirs for sure. I think there is
an inherent conflict between "look what we can do" on the one hand and
system integrity, stability and security on the other hand. I think
the hammer has come down definitively on the side of integrity,
stability and security. I don't think it is the wrong decision. We in
"application land" can just lump it and figure out how to provide the
functionality we need ourselves. :)

Eric