[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Oct 6 15:37:17 EDT 2015

I agree that installing packages into the OSX system Python should not be done and could be prohibited as far as I am concern. But I have had good success using the OSX system Python as the basis for virtual environments. I have only done nominal experimenting with El Capitan and it seems OK for other projects I am working on.

If you look at the original error message:

 Reason: unsafe use of relative rpath
libvtkCommonCorePython27D-6.3.1.dylib in
/Users/Shared/install/vtk-6.3.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk/vtkCommonCorePython.so
with restricted binary

It's interesting that the VTK Python library was loaded from Python but the dependent library was not. I bet there is a way to specify the RPaths so it that would work.

When CMake encode the "BUILD_RPATH" are you able to load the dependent libraries?

HTH,
Brad