[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:56:37 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Eric Nodwell
<eric.nodwell at numerics88.com> wrote:
> I don't think Apple has been entirely consistent here. For example, I
> am 99.999% sure that the operating system never needs to use scipy,
> but they have included that in the system python for a couple of
> versions now. Furthermore, they link it against their Accelerate
> Framework, which is wicked fast - and it is very far from trivial to
> compile scipy with the Accerelate Framework if you want to do it
> yourself, so it is tempting to use theirs for sure.

The default numpy and scipy wheels are compiled against Accelerate.  I
mean that if you have python.org Python or homebrew Python / pip then:

pip install numpy scipy

should get you binary installations of numpy and scipy linked against
Accelerate.

There was a bug in Accelerate that we had to work round a while ago,
with Sturla's help, but I don't think there were any recent problems
with Accelerate linking, that I'm aware of.  I'm happy to be corrected
though.

Best,

Matthew