[vtkusers] Simultaneously build Python 2&3 interface

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:26:07 EDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Matthias Blaicher <matthias at blaicher.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to start saying that I'm really glad that there is work on a
> Python 3 binding. VTK is the last showstopper for me to convert to
> Python 3 and I can hardly wait until it's in an official release (6.4?).

It has already been merged into the upcoming release branch,
the next release will probably be 6.3.1 (I have no control over
releases, but I'm guessing it will be soon i.e. within a few weeks).

I'm unclear though, how I'm supposed to build a python 2 and python 3
> interface at the same time. Is this even possible right now? Hints on
> how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

They can't be built simultaneously, but you can try building one and then
the other.  The libraries are versioned (e.g. vtkCommonCorePython27D.dll)
but the extension modules are not (vtkCommonCorePython.pyd) so when
doing the second build, make sure that you don't overwrite the first set
of extension modules with the second.

 - David