[vtkusers] Simultaneously build Python 2&3 interface

Matthias Blaicher matthias at blaicher.com
Mon Oct 5 09:37:23 EDT 2015

On 10/04/2015 08:26 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Matthias Blaicher
> <matthias at blaicher.com <mailto:matthias at blaicher.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm unclear though, how I'm supposed to build a python 2 and python 3
>     interface at the same time. Is this even possible right now? Hints on
>     how to do this would be greatly appreciated!
>

> They can't be built simultaneously, but you can try building one and then
> the other.  The libraries are versioned (e.g. vtkCommonCorePython27D.dll)
> but the extension modules are not (vtkCommonCorePython.pyd) so when
> doing the second build, make sure that you don't overwrite the first set
> of extension modules with the second.

I feared that. Unfortunately, this complicates packaging, as Arch Linux
PKGBUILDs execute "make install" in a chroot - so no access to build
tools. On the other hand even for split packages there is only one
build() function - so I cannot reconfigure and build twice.

Theoretically, I could build a second time in an independent package and
hope that the two packages never diverge.. but I guess this is asking
for trouble.

Is it theoretically possible to extend the build script to build for
both python versions?

Best,
Matthias