[vtkusers] "Proper" way to export a scene to X?

Alexandre Dufour adufour at pasteur.fr
Fri Jul 31 04:23:30 EDT 2015

Hi David,

From here: http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkExporter.html#a62e93f031f451016e22dc13bde789e64

> Exporters are for scenes. The intent is to take everything you can see in the a vtkRenderWindow's vtkRenderer and export it so that some other rendering system (renderman, etc) can reproduce the picture in a different way.

Ok, this makes total sense, I now wonder why this method is documented that way :)
I’ve also noticed that the e

> For individual objects in the scene, like a polydata mesh, use one of the writer classes. They take one thing in the pipeline and export it to some file format so that you can process it later with vtk or some other project. Exporters sometimes use writers.
>
> Try https://github.com/daviddoria/vtkOBJWriter in this case.

Oh… right… I had expected these classes to be in the core of VTK (which would have made our life much easier since we call the API from Java). Any simple way to integrate this (other than manual JNI-ing + building on all platforms, which requires me to have the full VTK source at hand?)

Actually I’ve just noticed that the nightly build does contain classes such as vtkX3DExporterWriter (we’d have to upgrade our VTK binaries though), but is this also a valid alternative?

In the meantime, I think I’d be better (or rather, faster) off writing the export myself in pure Java.

Thanks anyway for your help!
Alexandre