[vtkusers] "Proper" way to export a scene to X?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jul 30 14:55:06 EDT 2015

I don't think the exporters are going away soon. What specific method was
that message from?

Exporters are for scenes. The intent is to take everything you can see in
the a vtkRenderWindow's vtkRenderer and export it so that some other
rendering system (renderman, etc) can reproduce the picture in a different
way.

For individual objects in the scene, like a polydata mesh, use one of the
writer classes. They take one thing in the pipeline and export it to some
file format so that you can process it later with vtk or some other
project. Exporters sometimes use writers.

Try https://github.com/daviddoria/vtkOBJWriter in this case.

cheers

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.