[vtkusers] strange behavior with GetActiveCamera on vtkFollower

Simone Rapposelli simone.rapposelli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:58:17 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am a newbie on VTK and I am working on a software using it with PCL.

I am facing with a strange behavior when trying to display 3d text on the
renderer: if I add more than two different 3d text on the viewer, I get an
annoying flickering when naivgating with mouse and sometimes all the actors
(point cloud and text) disappear until I keep pressed mouse button and
reappear only after releasing it.

Doing some tests I have found that, if I have a vtkFollower object defined
as follows:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkFollower> textActor =
vtkSmartoPointer<vtkFollower>::New();

and I comment the following line:

textActor->setCamera(renderer->GetActiveCamera()

the flickering disappear, but obviously I lose the text facing the camera.

So the problem seems to be localized in GetActiveCamera: does any of you
has experienced a similar issue?
I am working on a Qt widget, I don't know if this can be a problem.