[vtkusers] Polydata filtering in real-time

Nil Goyette nil.goyette at imeka.ca
Wed May 21 10:43:19 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm searching how to recreate the FiberNavigator [1] using vtk and I'm
stuck on one problem. As you can see in my screenshot [2], we use a
little teal cube to filter which fibers we want to see. The cube will be
a vtkBoxWidget and the fibers are a vtkPolyData. The problem is that
there's no concept of cell visibility in a vtkPolyData. I found this
feature in vtkStructuredGrid but I believe my data doesn't fit the
class' description. I found three ways to do what I want:

 1. Use vtkExtractSelectedPolyDataIds to extract only the cells I need.
    I think this would be super slow.
 2. Add/delete cells when the cube pass by. I think this would also be slow.
 3. Extend vtkPolyData to add the concept of visibility
    (vtkStructuredVisibilityConstraint). This looks like the best option
    to me but I may be wrong.

I wonder what's the best way to filter the fibers. Do you have any
suggestions for me? Thanks for your time.

[1] https://github.com/scilus/fibernavigator
[2] http://imgur.com/1edZpWT

--
Logo Imeka <http://imeka.ca/> 	Nil Goyette, M.Sc.