[vtkusers] VTK in a multi-threaded program

Richard Whitehead richard.whitehead at vivosight.com
Mon Mar 24 10:25:55 EDT 2014

David,
Unfortunately I am now in a really bad place.  I have some long-winded
calculations to do and then visualise, which I want to do in a background
thread.  This is for a commercial application and hanging the GUI is
completely unacceptable.  I have now invested several man-months into VTK
and I have to decide whether to drop it.  I think the only sensible thing I
can do is to get rid of VTK from my calculations and only use it for
visualisation.
Many thanks,
Richard

On 24 March 2014 12:29, David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com> wrote:

> You are definitely not going crazy. The really, really rather foul thing,
> that frustrates me all the time, is when I must do some VTK operation which
> takes significant time (on the order of seconds or minutes, rather than the
> typical fraction of a second) ... and then it makes the GUI completely
> unresponsive until the operation is done.
>
> I spend rather a lot of my time making sure that everything I do that's
> VTK-based is at interactive speeds as much as possible to absolutely
> minimize the user pain associated with this.
>
> Pushing long operations completely into a separate non-GUI thread would be
> absolutely fantastic. I look forward to the day when such a thing becomes
> possible.
>

> :-)

Richard Whitehead *-* Senior Imaging Engineer

*Michelson Diagnostics Ltd*

*M:* +44 (0)7905 955276   *T:* +44 (0)20 8308 1695

*E: *richard.whitehead at vivosight.com   *W:* www.vivosight.com

<http://www.vivosight.com/>

Michelson Diagnostics Ltd, 1 Grays Farm Production Village, Grays Farm
Road, Orpington, Kent  BR5 3BD, UK

Registered Office: 3 Shearwater, Maidstone, ME16 0DW.     Registered in
England No. 5732681