[vtkusers] VTK in a multi-threaded program

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Mar 24 10:32:12 EDT 2014

Hi Richard,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Richard Whitehead <
richard.whitehead at vivosight.com> wrote:

> David,
> Unfortunately I am now in a really bad place.  I have some long-winded
> calculations to do and then visualise, which I want to do in a background
> thread.  This is for a commercial application and hanging the GUI is
> completely unacceptable.  I have now invested several man-months into VTK
> and I have to decide whether to drop it.  I think the only sensible thing I
> can do is to get rid of VTK from my calculations and only use it for
> visualisation.

FYI, we have successfully used VTK in a multi-threaded environment for our
VisGUI application framework (http://www.kitware.com/source/home/post/84)
specifically dealing with computations. Rendering was done single threaded
though. The trick involved writing our own thread safe version of
vtkSmartPointer (I believe you are doing something similar).

- Aashish