[vtkusers] VTK in a multi-threaded program

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 08:29:13 EDT 2014

You are definitely not going crazy. The really, really rather foul
thing, that frustrates me all the time, is when I must do some VTK
operation which takes significant time (on the order of seconds or
minutes, rather than the typical fraction of a second) ... and then it
makes the GUI completely unresponsive until the operation is done.

I spend rather a lot of my time making sure that everything I do that's
VTK-based is at interactive speeds as much as possible to absolutely
minimize the user pain associated with this.

Pushing long operations completely into a separate non-GUI thread would
be absolutely fantastic. I look forward to the day when such a thing
becomes possible.

:-)