[vtkusers] How to make vtkImageViewer2 to show an actor only in a certain depth

Miro Drahos mdrahos at robodoc.com
Mon Jun 16 14:27:30 EDT 2014

Hi Sam,
if your surface is not too large, it shouldn't hinder the performance much.
I cut a polydata with ~20k vertices interactively, by sliding the cut
plane and there are no issues (on a lower-end NVIDIA GPU).

To answer your question: there is another way -- you could use clipping
range of the camera and let the camera frustum cut your surface, but I
would advise against this hack. Just stick with the vtkCutter. It uses a
point locator (sort of a hash-table) to speed up the lookup and really
shouldn't give you much of performance penalty.