[vtkusers] Explicit numbering of nodes for Xdmf/h5

Andrew Parker andy.john.parker at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:19:14 EST 2013

All,

Hopefully this is a simple question.  I'm using xdmf with h5 files to store
my mesh and view via paraview.  However, due to a recent change in my code,
I now want to be able to specify "NodeNumber XPosition YPosition ZPosition"
as a tuple for each node/point position in the mesh (it's unstructured) so
that I can explicitly number the nodes.  Currently I do something like:

<Geometry Type= "X_Y_Z">
<DataItem Name="VX" NumberType="Float" Dimensions="1660" Precision="8"
Format="HDF">
points.h5:/Mesh/Xposition/
</DataItem>
<DataItem Name="VY" NumberType="Float" Dimensions="1660" Precision="8"
Format="HDF">
points.h5:/Mesh/Yposition/
</DataItem>
<DataItem Name="VZ" NumberType="Float" Dimensions="1660" Precision="8"
Format="HDF">
points.h5:/Mesh/Zposition/
</DataItem>
</Geometry>

But this assume that the first x, y, and z in the file are meant to be for
node 0, and node 0 is referenced in the topology section.  Now what I want
to do is to be able to define for each x, y, z tuple the specific node
number that those positions refer to. So explicit numbering rather than
implicit numbering.  Can this be done with xdmf, I assume it can?  If not a
massive amount of renumbering is needed.....

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy