[vtkusers] GUISupport python wrappers?

Amos Anderson amos.anderson at protabit.com
Fri Nov 22 13:10:51 EST 2013

Hello VTK Users --

How to I get GUISupport python wrappers in vtk 6? I can find a lot of testing/example python code that uses them (e.g. in GUISupport/Qt/Testing/Python) but my vtkpython doesn't have them:

> vtkpython
>>> import vtk
>>> vtk.QVTKWidget2()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'QVTKWidget2'

VTK6.0.0> ls Wrapping/Python/vtk/qt4
QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.pyc  QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py
__init__.pyc                    __init__.py

Here's how I'm compiling VTK:

$(CMAKE) -DVTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=ON -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=$(PYTHON)/bin/python -DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=$(PYTHON)/include/python2.7 -DPYTHON_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=$(PYTHON)/lib/libpython2.7.dylib -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=$(QMAKE) -DModule_vtkGUISupportQt:BOOL=ON -DModule_vtkGUISupportQtOpenGL:BOOL=ON

is there an option I'm missing? Or is this something that will be fixed in the next version of VTK? (when will that be?)

Thanks!
Amos.