[vtkusers] Why does this segfault?

Christopher Mullins christopher.mullins at kitware.com
Fri May 31 18:47:29 EDT 2013

I'm getting the following error:

ERROR: In VTK/Common/Transforms/vtkTransform.cxx, line 242
vtkTransform (0x7f81c94172c0): Concatenate: this would create a circular
reference.

pointing to this line [1].  Looks like it could be circuit you're creating
when you concatenate those transforms in the loop, where CircuitCheck [2]
is returning true.  If you use trans2->Concatenate(inv3->GetMatrix());
instead of passing the transform directly it terminates correctly.  Maybe
someone else would know more about why, but it could be because GetMatrix()
calls Update().

[1]
https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Common/Transforms/vtkTransform.cxx#L242
[2]
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkTransform.html#a47c335c53f0917826db0e17724508640

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Shawn Waldon <swaldon at cs.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been using vtk for a project and I ran across a simple case where I
> can delete a vtkLinearTransform that I have a smart pointer to by
> concatenating it onto another transform and calling Identity on that
> transform.  I have attached a stripped down example program the exhibits
> the error.  Every time through the loop in the test program the inverse's
> reference count is decremented somehow until it is deleted and the program
> segfaults on the next call to TransformVector/TransformPoint.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shawn Waldon

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Christopher Mullins