[vtkusers] qt 4.8.4 and vtk6 install linux

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon May 13 09:39:07 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Jose Ignacio Prieto
<joseignacio.prieto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I've been unsuccessfully trying to build qt with vtk for a while on
> ubuntu 12 ( vtk 6 and qt 4.8.4). First I install libqt4-dev libvtk5-qt4-dev
> as said http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Tutorials/QtSetup
> Then I get the qt source code both downloading the tar file and from git.
> Then I run configure -developer-build . Next I rebuild vtk enabling QT group
> and shared libs. Finally I try to make the vtk example RenderWindowNoUiFile
> but it says fatal error QApplication: No such file or direcotry, complation
> terminated.
> I really don't know what to do, maybe I have done too many contradictory
> things but I have been stuck for days.
> Thanks!
> Jose

Can you please copy/paste the actual error you are getting, and
explain exactly what you did before seeing the error? It sounds like
this is a compiler error complaining about the #include
<QApplication>?

I think the problem is that we had the wrong CMakeLists.txt on that
example page (it was missing the Qt things, e.g.

find_package(Qt4 REQUIRED)
include(${QT_USE_FILE})

Please try the updated CMakeLists.txt here
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/RenderWindowNoUiFile

David