[vtkusers] Write multiple vtkPolyData(or extended struct) into on single XML file

amutka alan.mutka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:55:06 EDT 2013

Dear VTK users,

As a PhD student I`m working on a complex VTK application for 3D point cloud
and mesh editing. Each actor on the scene is represented by following
structure:

struct ActorInfoS {

	vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> actorPolyData;

	char ActorName[30];

	vtkMatrix4x4 * initialTransformation;
	std::vector<connMarkerActor> connectionActorCellToMarker;
	vtkstd::vector<int> CloudRelativeTransformCameraIndex;
	vtkstd::vector<vtkSmartPointer&lt;vtkTransform>> CloudRelativeTransform;
	vtkImageData* image_White;
};

The scene contains multiple actors each defined with this structure inside
vector<ActorInfoS >. The idea is to write each element of vector into a
single file.
At the moment we are using vtkXMLPolyDataWriter to write only the
vtkPolyData object. This writer is great because it  saves cell data, points
data and also point additional data like scalars(texture).

1) Is it possible to use vtkXMLPolyDataWriter to write multiple vtkPolyData
object to a single file?
The vtkAppendPolyData cannot be used because we need to load actors again
onto
the scene and manipulate them individually.

2) Does anybody have idea how to store completely struct object ActorInfoS
into file, some object serialization in VTK?

3) How to create individually XML file, is it possible to create XML writer
and reader for structure as ActorInfoS?

4) What about XDMF model, does anybody have experience with this ?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards
Alan