[vtkusers] Render Control

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 11:34:54 EDT 2013

> Hi David and thank you for the reply,

sure, no problem.

> so what is the way to add the render control to the winform in 64 bit?
> Currently what I did:

> well, it works in runtime

Good, it’s supposed to.

> but it says it cannot find the kitware clr in
> design time.

It’s right, because Visual Studio is a 32-bit host, and it CANNOT LOAD 64-bit controls. It can only load “Any CPU” controls that can be just-in-time compiled to a 32-bit architecture. The ActiViz dlls cannot be just-in-time compiled to any old architecture -- it has to match the underlying native dlls that get loaded.

So, this is normal and expected behavior in the case of ActiViz. It’s strange when you first encounter it, because there aren’t many .NET controls that have this type of native code dependency. But it is the way it is, and Visual Studio itself will probably never be a 64-bit app.

> Also i don't think that for it to work i need to install also 86 bit version
> of activiz

Yes, you do, if you want to add it the “normal” way you add things at design time in Visual Studio. You have to add it as the 32-bit control, then switch your application’s target architecture and swap the references to the 64-bit versions... Then just ignore the Visual Studio design-time “errors” that you get. If you can build and run it, then it’s all working as best it can.

> i tried to add the control through kitware dll but it cannot find it...
> Something is not right here i think...
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong, because you say “it works in runtime” -- if you had done something wrong, it wouldn’t.

Cheers,

David C.