[vtkusers] Vtk 6.0 dotnet

Serge Lalonde serge at infolytica.com
Mon Jul 8 09:59:31 EDT 2013

HI Alex,

I'm sorry that you were offended, It wasn't my intention. If others were
offended, sorry to them too. The expression was simply to express my
feeling that if you're really interested in getting this faster, you
should be willing to participate a little in its development. That's
what crowdfunding is all about. This is becoming a popular way to get
projects off the ground and isn't in competition with open source.
There's nothing to prevent David Cole from checking in his work into the
VTK git repository and the work would have benefited everyone, even
those who didn't pledge.

My point was that inquiries about an update to the .NET wrappers comes
back often. So since Kitware doesn't have time to develop it, it won't
get done magically. David Cole proposed a Kickstarter project to get it
done sooner using crowdfunding. Since this is a feature that would be
useful to my company, we made a pledge to help it get funded. If
everyone who needed it was willing to pledge a little, it was possible
that the funding goal could have been reached. I think that David Gobbi
was simply doing a simple statistical breakdown to illustrate this.

It's too bad that the project didn't get funded, but I won't lose any
sleep over it. Everyone who needs it will just have to wait until Ktware
has time to do it. And please don't be offended by mailing list posts.
Life's too short for that and there are many more important things! ;-)

On 7/5/2013 6:29 PM, Alex Malyushytskyy wrote:
> I would not write this. if I did not see offense in one of the posts
> above targeted people who did not  "put their money where their mouth
> is" .
> You can't use number of people in vtk community as a total number of
> people interested in ActiViz.
> For example I do not care about anything beside C++. I know multiple
> people who do not care what happens on Windows.
>
> Also there is a huge difference between liking a feature and agree to
> finance the development.
> Also as for me I would trust more in the results of free development
> than in results of the projects developed using such financing.
> Assume you succeeded to collect money, and it was even enough to
> produce results you wanted which is not realistic in the area I live.
> What is going to happen when new vtk version is released and ActiViz
> need support?
> The code will need to be supported.
> Are you going to ask for a new donations every time?
> You have to realize that such questions are too serious to ignore and
> there is no point to offend people who decided not to put their money
> in the project you support.
>
> Regards,
>      Alex
>

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com
> <mailto:david.gobbi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'll throw in my two cents here, not specifically about ActiViz but
>     about Kickstarter in general.
>
>     The average pledge amount is $70, with most backers giving $25 and a
>     few especially generous backers giving much more.  So a $10000 project
>     should only require around 150 backers.  That's not a huge number,
>     considering that the VTK community has well over 10x that many
>     members.  So the questions are 1) how to reach the community, since
>     most community members don't read the vtkusers list on a regular
>     basis,
>     and 2) what kind of VTK Kickstarter projects would get widespread
>     participation.
>
>     I suspect that VTK book projects would find a lot of backers, and most
>     people would be satisfied with a pdf rather than a hardcopy.
>
>      - David
>
>     On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Serge Lalonde
>     <serge at infolytica.com <mailto:serge at infolytica.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi Nico,
>     >
>     > Here's the link:
>     >
>     http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dlrdave/activiz-net-installers-featuring-vtk-510
>     >
>     > Note: Please reply to the list, not directly to me, so that
>     others can
>     > benefit.
>     >
>     > On 7/5/2013 2:58 PM, Domenico Quaranta wrote:
>     >
>     > Serge,
>     > please provide the link
>     > I'm very interested, on behalf of the consultancy company I work
> [...]

(514) 849-8752 x236, Fax: (514) 849-4239