[vtkusers] Vtk 6.0 dotnet

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 12:21:52 EDT 2013

Thanks, Serge. It *is* too bad that the kickstarter approach did not yield a funded project this time around. Perhaps later, another one will be successful.

Alex, you wrote “as for me I would trust more in the results of free development than in results of the projects developed using such financing.”

In response, I would simply point out the results of free development are that ActiViz is presently “stuck” on the VTK 5.8 version. And it was only “free as in beer” to those of you who didn’t pay for it.

It’s also too bad that nobody else has stepped up and said, “hey, how can I contribute and help to make this happen?” (Aside from the 20 kickstarter project backers [1] -- thanks again, guys...)

For those willing to contribute effort and manpower to the problem, rather than money, go for it. VTK and ActiViz are both open source, and may be built and extended by any interested party. I recently abandoned the topic integrating the two [2] due to lack of activity. Anybody who wants to, please feel free to resurrect it, rebase it on current ‘master’, and try again. Alternatively, you could simply extend the ActiViz git repo with commits to make it build against an external VTK 5.10 or 6.0 [3].

While I am capable and mildly interested in furthering ActiViz .NET, I prefer to spend much of my free time on non-computer related activities these days. I get quite enough compute time just doing my job. But money actually does motivate me... and I would be willing to do the work if paid for it. So, that, plus gauging actual interest level, were my primary motivations for seeking funding via kickstarter.

Cheers,

David Cole

[1] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dlrdave/activiz-net-installers-featuring-vtk-510/backers

[2] http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/1615/

[3] http://public.kitware.com/gitweb?p=activizdotnet.git

P.S. ---

I would also like to point out that nowadays, you can simply build a managed-C++ project with VS 2012, and “just link for free” to the native VTK C++ libraries. That doesn’t help folks using other .NET languages, but it is a nice feature of the modern C++ compiler from MS that you can link in both managed and un-managed code together. If you are starting a new Windows Forms application, consider using managed C++ as your language.