[vtkusers] how to install vtk on a Mac?

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Mon Jan 7 09:47:23 EST 2013

If you want to wrap your VTK library in Python/Java you MUST enable the
BUILD_SHARED_LIB option.

Depending on the system, the VTK libraries should be available in one of
the directory specified inside:

Windows: PATH
Linux: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Mac: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

The java.library.path is not enough for some reason with VTK.

Moreover, you should use the library that have been generated in your
install directory as they've been cleaned up from local path of your build
system. That's the only way to make sure when you relocate those library
they don't try to use the one you just build on your hard drive.

Seb