[vtkusers] MemoryLeak using vtkSmartVolumeMapper, Java and ATI

Jan T talshiar77 at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 09:52:09 EDT 2012

Hello,

i have got a memory problem using vtkSmartVolumeMapper with resamping under
Java and ATI graphic boards. I am working with very large datasets (up to 3
GB) thus the GPULowResMapper is automaticly used by vtkSmartVolumeMapper to
do resampling to deal with graphic boards memory restrictions. If there is
no resampling, everything is fine, but when resampling is applied i have a
memory leak after deleting all my vtk objects in the size of the resamplers
output. Additionally, this memory leak only occures, if i am using ATI
graphic boards (Radeon, FireGL) but not with Nvidia graphic boards.

I constructed a pipeline similar to the one that vtkSmartVolumeMapper uses
( vtkImageData -> vtkImageResample -> vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper) and
i got the same memory leaking results.

I tried a lot and did a lot of debugging but for now i have no more ideas.
I am using vtk 5.8 with Java 1.6 and a NativeByteBuffer via JNI for
performance reasons.

Jan