[vtkusers] VTK & Java 7 (custom OpenGL view)

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jul 11 10:34:24 EDT 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:39:23 +0200, Michael Hoffer said:

>I realized that the Java binding of VTK does not work on OS X for Java >=7.

Correct.  You now need to use CALayer instead of NSView for drawing.  VTK uses NSView and never CALayer.  CALayer was added in 10.5 and VTK 5.x still supports older versions, but VTK 6 will require 10.5 or later, making adding CALayer support less troublesome.

>Are there plans in the near future to change the implementation from NSView
>to something else?

None that I know of, but it's probably something that should be discussed on the vtk-dev list.  I was planning on bringing it up once 10.8 is out and its NDA is no longer in effect.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com