[vtkusers] problem with VTK's Python bindings

Yifei Li yifli82 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:03:07 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Yifei Li <yifli82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 to v8.1 but the
> > vtk.vtkFilteringPythonSIP module requires API v7.1
> >
> > Is the sip I have (4.13.2) too new for VTK? How do fix this issue?
>
> You probably have two versions of sip installed on your computer.
> Make sure that all of the SIP variables in your cmake cache are
> pointing to the version of sip that you want to use.

I do have two versions of sip: one is from the system, and the other is
installed by myself.
All the SIP variables look right (pointing to my own sip):

SIP_EXECUTABLE: FILEPATH=/tmp/yifli/bin/sip
SIP_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/tmp/yifli/include
SIP_PYQT_DIR:PATH=/tmp/yifi/share/PyQt4

> Also, why are you building everything in /tmp instead of in a more
> permanent location?  On many Linux/UNIX systems (including OS X)
> the contents of /tmp are erased whenever the computer reboots.

This is the only place I have writable permissions  on, and the quota on my
home is very limiting.