[vtkusers] VTK build instructions cleanup

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:43:11 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM, N David Brown <hubdave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good idea David.
>
> It makes sense to avoid mentioning version numbers unless there are specific
> conflict issues. The Windows page mentions 'CMake 2.4.6' near the top but
> there's really no need to include a version number there.
>
> Also, personally I'd recommend Visual Studio 2008 Express over VS .NET 2003,
> it is still free and has much better compliance, and is faster.
>
> Dave

There may have been some CMake changes in VTK that require a minimum
specific CMake version. What we need to do is identify these "minimum
versions". We should also make different pages for different versions
of Visual Studio if anything in the procedure is different. If it is
not, we should list the VS versions that it is known to work with.

With little contributions like this from a huge user base, these
things could be made very clearly very quickly! I encourage everyone
to take a look through these instructions, and if they match what you
did, list which versions of VS and CMake you used at the top of the
page.

David