[vtkusers] VTK build instructions cleanup

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:50:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM, N David Brown <hubdave at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good idea David.
>>
>> It makes sense to avoid mentioning version numbers unless there are specific
>> conflict issues. The Windows page mentions 'CMake 2.4.6' near the top but
>> there's really no need to include a version number there.
>>
>> Also, personally I'd recommend Visual Studio 2008 Express over VS .NET 2003,
>> it is still free and has much better compliance, and is faster.
>>
>> Dave
>
> There may have been some CMake changes in VTK that require a minimum
> specific CMake version. What we need to do is identify these "minimum
> versions". We should also make different pages for different versions
> of Visual Studio if anything in the procedure is different. If it is
> not, we should list the VS versions that it is known to work with.
>
> With little contributions like this from a huge user base, these
> things could be made very clearly very quickly! I encourage everyone
> to take a look through these instructions, and if they match what you
> did, list which versions of VS and CMake you used at the top of the
> page.

For Visual Studio (which I use every day for 3+ years with vtk), I
would argue to remove the INSTALL part and  BUILD_SHARED_LIBS because
these prevent you from using both Debug and Release configurations in
the visual studio ide. Since Release dlls are incompatible with Debug
executables and visa versa. The incompatibility causes strange crashes
on memory allocations / deallocations. Although that complicates the
simple tutorial.

John