[vtkusers] Multi-Volume Rendering

Stephan Rademacher Radi1982 at gmx.de
Thu Oct 27 09:15:33 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to do multi-volume rendering in VTK.

I searched the mailing list but didn't find any clues how to do that. The standard vtkXXXVolumeRayCastMappers don't seem to support it, except for vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper, which supports rendering of multi-component data. As I need to render an arbitrary number of volumes, I can't use one component per volume. Compositing the different volumes into one RGBA volume by converting the intensities to colors using transfer functions has many drawbacks. The volumes might have different dimensions and spacing anyway, making this costly.

Does anyone know a way of rendering multiple volumes of arbitrary dimensions and spacings in VTK (on CPU or GPU) ?

I for one don't think this is possible in VTK at the moment. For advice on how to implement this myself I should ask on the developers list, correct?

Thanks,

Stephan