[vtkusers] tensor glyph, inward pointing surface normals

. burlen.loring at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:33:38 EDT 2011

I think I've answered my own question:

no. the inside out glyph surface with inward pointing surface normals
does not provide useful information about the tensor field, so the
phenomenon is a bug.

my reasoning is this:

In the vtkTensorGlyph algorithm the eigenvectors become the columns of
the rotation matrix. Eigenvectors are unique up to a constant, so if you
took any eigenvector and multiplied it by -1 it's still an eigenvector.
Doing so to only one of the eigenvectors would in the simplest case
(positive eignevalues and no further translation or rotations applied)
change the sign of the determinant of the transform, resulting in
inverted surface & normals, having nothing to do with the properties of
the tensor field, and only because of the choice of the eigenvector. So
an inside out glyph surface with inward pointing surface normals can't
generally be used for insight about the tensor field.