[vtkusers] tensor glyph, inward pointing surface normals

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:04:58 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I recently started to experiment with vtkTensorGlyph and found that some
of the glyphs apear as "black bodies"(see attached images). This happens
because their surface normals point inward. I noticed that if the
transform applied to the glyph has a negative determinant the glyph
surface and its surface normals get turned inside out, and that I could
"fix" these flipped surface normals by applying a scale of -1,-1,-1 to
the transform.

I'm not sure if these inward pointing surface normals are really a bug.
It sure looked like one at first, but the fact that the glyph surface is
turned inside out is, maybe, useful information about the tensor field.
Although, If one is using a black background the these glyphs disappear,
which is not useful, and without shading they can be tricky to "see" the
shape at different angles.

Is this a bug or a feature? Is the inversion of the glyph surface useful
information?

I filed a bug report about this, with a more images, patch with the
flipped normals "fix" and two other fixes (one for parallel use, and
another for naming output arrays), and a small test script that
demonstrates the behavior. http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12179

Thanks
Burlen