[vtkusers] VTK, MSVS and Quicktime

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 00:36:50 EST 2011

Hi Gib,

This sort of problem is very common when people distribute software
that was built with Visual Studio.  C++ software built with MSVC 2005
will only work on systems that have MSVCR80.DLL and MSVCP80.DLL.
A base Windows XP system does not have these DLLs.  I'd bet, though,
that Quicktime installs them, and that is why installing quicktime
made everything work.

Here's the solution: when you distribute your software, you MUST
distribute MSVCR80.DLL and MSVCP80.DLL along with your executable,
I'm not 100% sure but I think this is even true if your executable is
statically linked.  These DLLs are the C and C++ runtime libraries for
MSVC.

 - David