[vtkusers] Data Accumulation Strategy

Marc Ferland marc.ferland at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:44:29 EDT 2011

Hi,

I currently working on an application that analyses a live data stream and
renders the results as images on the screen. Some of these images are
redrawn completely for each new data unit that comes in. Others accumulate
the data over time and scroll by a certain amount each time a new data unit
comes in, giving the impression of a fish finder (sonar) screen.

My question is this: How should I create such display for my application
using vtk? Basically what I'm asking is how to accumulate data over time and
refresh the display for each new unit that comes in without reprocessing the
whole data set each time.

Example:
- A new data unit comes in, it has points data along with scalar data (Let's
say it's a vtkPolyData object);
- I want to accumulate this new unit to an already exiting buffer;
- Some filter runs on this data buffer (note: The points never overlap and
are equally spaced in time);
- Render the scene with the new data unit.

How do I prevent the filter from reprocessing the part that hasn't changed?
If no solution is available out of the box are there any good practices
guidelines for cases like this?

I hope this is clear enough!

Regards,

Marc